Wednesday, August 19, 2020

I’m Still Here!

It has been over five months since Covid 19 became a threat in my little corner of the world. In all that time, I have been inside a public space only a handful of times. I wore a mask on every occasion but have been appalled to see how few people were doing the same. Those inconsiderate folks have forced me and other high-risk persons into becoming hermits. I feel resentment toward those individuals who complain that wearing a mask impinges on their freedom, because they have quite literally deprived me of MY freedom! 

When the Coronavirus first began making headlines my heart broke over the numerous victims and their loved ones. As the virus continued to spread and the news became more alarming, my husband and I realized that our planned trip to France and Belgium would have to be canceled. It was heartbreaking, but necessary. We had prepaid most of our accommodations and had purchased airfare months prior. Nearly every penny was eventually refunded to us  The only exception was one of the AirBnB apartments, which was located in Brussels. The owner flatly refused to even discuss a refund, but since we had only paid half up to that point our loss was minor. 

Meanwhile, we were alarmed at the news coming out of France regarding that country’s battle with the virus. For weeks, I had difficulty sleeping due to my concern over loved ones here and abroad who lived in what had become Covid hotspots. As the virus continued its rapid spread I became worried about myself and Craig. I was at risk due to asthma and a heart condition. Craig is healthy, but with both of us falling into the senior citizen category, there was cause for concern. 

On March 13 we decided it would be prudent to remain at home as much as possible. We ordered groceries online to be delivered, which was something I often had done anyway. We utilized the drive-through at the pharmacy. Other necessary items were ordered online or purchased locally with the option of curbside pickup. For several months, we didn’t even get takeout or meal delivery. I cooked every day. Our home was well-stocked because I had purchased many non-perishable items in February, which is something I do every spring in preparation for tornado season. 

It’s mid-August now, and I’m grateful for our comfy little home and the lovely outdoor spaces we can enjoy. Our outside space is very important to us. Craig and I love to sit on the deck, watching and listening to the many birds which inhabit our neighborhood. Lots of frisky squirrels provide entertainment with their silly antics. We’re fortunate to have access to many wide walking paths nearby, which meander through parks and alongside ponds and  streams. 


A favorite place to walk
Mornings are spent on the deck, weather permitting. We sip our coffee and catch up on the news while enjoying the early chorus of birds. A game of Scrabble is always part of our morning routine. Throughout the day, there will be more games of Scrabble. We are avid readers, and also enjoy ourselves studying French. Recently, our son has begun teaching us via Zoom. We’re making good progress and always look forward to those weekly classes Desmond is a natural teacher and has been extremely helpful in our quest to learn the most beautiful of all languages. 


Our teenage granddaughter, who is currently living with us, has been simply amazing during the course of lockdown and isolation. Janey has never rebelled against confinement, nor even whined about not being able to see her friends. Recently, we have loosened our restrictions to allow a friend to visit. We maintain distance, wash our hands frequently, and wipe down high-touch surfaces. However, most of the time, Janey busies herself with drawing, which is her passion. She also plays games online with friends and watches movies. 

We’ll carry on as long as necessary in order to protect ourselves. 


Our cozy little porch

A springtime view from the picnic table

No comments: