Monday, March 24, 2014

Soon!

March 24, 20014

It won't be long now! Plans are in place for our next adventure in France. Craig is unable to be away from work for very long, so I will begin the journey without him, and he will follow eight days later. I'm looking forward to staying with Desmond. He will be on break from school and work, so we'll have lots of mother-son time.

I have difficulty lifting anything over twenty pounds, due to an old back injury. With that in mind, I have decided to travel with only a carry-on. Craig will bring more of my clothing when he arrives, but I really believe I can do this! I pulled out my small suitcase a couple of weeks ago to see just how much (or how little) I could pack. I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to pack 3 pairs of long pants, 4 shirts, socks, underwear, pajamas, a travel pillow, my noise-canceling headphones, iPad, a pair of shoes, a couple of scarves, and a bare minimum of toiletries. Des will have shampoo and conditioner, and I can also do laundry while I'm there. In my purse I will have room for my Kindle and camera. I plan to wear my coat and sweater on the plane. They will come in handy as extra "blankets" for that overnight flight. 

I can hardly wait to walk down those cobblestone streets again! We have plans to make a day trip to Tours, which I am really looking forward to. I have heard so much about it and have seen some lovely photos. Speaking of photos, here is one of my favorites:

A very old door in Orleans, France.

That door caught my eye one evening while walking next to Desmond's friends as we were all heading toward a restaurant on Rue de Borgogne. I paused to admire the door and to snap this picture. I was informed that the carving around it was approximately 600 years old! I enjoy taking photos of old doors, even though it feels as if I am intruding, somehow. If I can see that the occupants are at home, I would not shoot a photo without permission. There are many beautiful and unique old doors in France; it's hard to resist them!

Here is another photo I especially like:

A tour boat on the Seine, in Paris.

On our last full day in France, we will be do the usual sightseeing, plus a dinner cruise on the Seine. Won't that be a wonderful way to end our visit? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bonjour. I enjoyed your blog. I too am a Francophile going to France soon. Some of my adventures and passion are captured in two self published books at amazon .com
Falling In Love With France and My Trip Around the Hexagon. I found your blog on Southern Fried French. Bon Voyage.

Jan said...

Merci, Anne Marie. I have recently read one of your books, "Falling in Love with France" and I enjoyed it very much. I have plans to read your second book as well.