Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Little R and R

Pages From Jan's Travel Journal: April 16, 2015

It was another great day of R and R for me! I was settling quite comfortably into my home away from home. Every day had given me a more relaxed and refreshed attitude. After my first cup of coffee, I walked several blocks to revisit a favorite bakery. It was the one closest to the apartment that Craig and I had rented a couple of years ago. It was hard to choose from the glass cases filled with delectable treats, but I selected a lemon tart and then slowly made my way back, enjoying the spring weather and the lovely views of the neighborhood.


 A delightful lemon tart.


Beautiful flowers in front of a church in Orléans, France.

At lunchtime, I decided to treat myself to a burger at Oh, Terroir. My cheeseburger was delicious. It had a thick, melting slab of Cantal cheese on it, along with fresh greens, roasted tomato relish, and Bearnaise. I sat at a little table outside in the fresh air and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch. I have never had a bad meal at Oh, Terroir.


Burgers at Oh, Terroir in Orléans, France.

On the way home, I stopped in at L'Occitane en Provence, where I did a bit of shopping. There were many wonderful and fragrant items from which to choose. I then picked up a few items at the supermarket before I returned home. Desmond came in from work feeling lighthearted, as it was his last day on the job before spring break. I told him that to celebrate, I wanted to treat us to dinner. Des chose a Korean restaurant called Kogi. It was apparently one of his favorite restaurants and we were greeted warmly upon arrival. We started with cocktails, and then an appetizer of miso soup followed by a salad. I had never eaten Korean food before and so I took my son's advice and ordered a main course called bibimbap. A very heavy and very hot granite bowl was brought to the table, filled with a sizzling combination of rice, bean sprouts, Japanese cucumber, kimchi, spinach, shredded carrots, and pork. A fried egg topped it off, and was quickly stirred into the meat and vegetables. There were some tasty sauces to accompany the dish, which was delicious and quite filling. It was a fun evening and we had a good time. When we returned home, we watched a movie and enjoyed ice cream bars for dessert.  


Dinner at Kogi in Orléans, France.




No comments: