Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Little R and R

Pages From Jan's Travel Journal: April 16, 2015

It was another great day of R and R for me! I was settling quite comfortably into my home away from home. Every day had given me a more relaxed and refreshed attitude. Since Mathieu did not have to work, we had coffee together before he set out for a doctor appointment. I walked several blocks to revisit a favorite bakery. It was the one closest to the apartment that Craig and I had rented a couple of years ago. It was hard to choose from the glass cases filled with delectable treats, but I selected a couple of lemon tarts and then slowly made my way back, enjoying the spring weather and the lovely views of the neighborhood.


 A delightful lemon tart.


Beautiful flowers in front of a church in Orléans, France.

Mathieu returned home, limping from some minor surgery on his foot. I gave him one of the lemon tarts and he presented me with a rustic pastry that he said was one of his favorites. It was a dense, chocolate pastry, not too sweet, and was studded with chocolate chips. It had a pleasantly chewy texture. After Mathieu had rested his foot for a while, we went out for lunch. Our destination was Oh, Terroir, where we both chose burgers off the menu. The restaurant has become very popular, and Mathieu helped several people who were not familiar with the computerized ordering system. I know he was relieved to finally sit down! My cheeseburger was delicious. It had a thick, melting slab of Cantal cheese on it, along with fresh greens, roasted tomato relish, and Bearnaise. Mathieu had chosen the barbecue burger, which had the same kind of tasty cheese and greens, with the addition of barbecue sauce and a sweet onion jam. He gave me a taste and I liked it even better that the one I had ordered. I have never had a bad meal at Oh, Terroir.


Burgers at Oh, Terroir in Orléans, France.

On the way home, we stopped in at L'Occitane en Provence, where I did a bit of shopping. Once Mathieu had rested his foot again, we set out in the car for Le Clerc, a large grocery market that Mathieu and Darcy like. It is a huge place, with very reasonable prices. I enjoyed looking around and shopping a bit. I picked up a few gifts for people at home and also some yummy items for Darcy, Mathieu and myself. We bought some Snickers ice cream bars as a surprise for Darcy. It was the first time we had seen them in France.

Darcy returned home from work feeling lighthearted, as it was her last day on the job before spring break. I told her that to celebrate, I wanted to treat us all to dinner. Darcy chose a Korean restaurant called Kogi. It was apparently one of their favorite restaurants and we were greeted warmly upon arrival. We started with cocktails, and then an appetizer of miso soup followed by a salad. I had never eaten Korean food before and so I took my daughter's advice and ordered a main course called bibimbap. A very heavy and very hot granite bowl was brought to the table, filled with a sizzling combination of rice, bean sprouts, Japanese cucumber, kimchi, spinach, shredded carrots, and pork. A fried egg topped it off, and was quickly stirred into the meat and vegetables. There were some tasty sauces to accompany the dish, which was delicious and quite filling. It was a fun evening and we all had a good time. When we returned home, we watched a movie and enjoyed ice cream bars for dessert.  


Dinner at Kogi in Orléans, France.




No comments: