Friday, July 24, 2015

The French Word for Sneeze: éternuer.

Pages from Jan's Travel Journal: April 23, 2015

That day, for some reason, my seasonal allergies decided to make a comeback. I began the day coughing, sneezing, and sniffling. I was determined to enjoy myself anyway, and nibbled happily on an apple-filled pastry as I sipped my morning coffee.

Delightful!
Desmond had to work, so I decided to do some more shopping. I was planning to purchase more adorable baby clothes for the newborns (and some as yet unborn) back in America. Armed with a packet of tissues and a dose of allergy medicine, I truly enjoyed browsing and buying those adorable items.

How cute is that?!
Before returning to the apartment, I made a stop in Halles Chatelet to pick up some fresh pasta and a slice of duck mousse, which Des would need to prepare our meal that evening. The proprietor of the pasta shop was very kind. When she realized that I understood little of what she was saying, she very carefully wrote down instructions for cooking the fresh linguine. In French. Perhaps she assumed that I could read French much better than I could understand the spoken language. 

You know the old saying, "feed a cold, starve a fever, gorge on pastries to fight allergies" ? I bought a lovely little Paris Brest for an afternoon snack. As soon as I returned home, I brewed some fresh coffee and enjoyed my special treat.

A get-well pastry.
That evening, Desmond and I enjoyed apero of cherry beer and assorted chips as we relaxed before dinner. Des quickly whipped up a delicious meal of fresh pasta with melted duck mousse and truffle oil, topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I wasn't great company, still fighting those annoying sniffles, and after texting for a while with Craig, went to bed early.      

No comments: