Thursday, September 1, 2016

Cruising the Canal

Pages From Jan's Travel Journal: Monday, May 23, 2016

What a fantastic day we had! Though we awoke to grey skies and light rain, we were determined to have a lovely day. Coffee came first, of course! We enjoyed having a kettle in our cozy room at the gite. There were two pretty mugs and a colorful tin box filled with packets of tea and instant coffee, as well as brightly wrapped cubes of sugar. We went downstairs to find the table beautifully laid for breakfast. Our hostess came in to greet us, asked if we desired some yogurt, and then quietly slipped away and left us to our petit dejeuner. There was a variety of breads from which to choose. A delightful seed bread, slightly sweetened, was our favorite. I also tried a slice of a tender yellow bread which had been made with corn flour. We had several jams and honey from which to choose, as well as a bowl of fresh fruit.  We drank coffee, hot chocolate, and orange juice. It was just what we wanted, since we would be having a big lunch on the cruise in Briare. Another couple came down to breakfast. They were from Germany and were bicycling through the area. The woman spoke French well and said they might want to stay an extra day due to the forecast. We also spoke with our hostess who said she and her husband have been running the B&B for four years. We told her how much we loved the rooms. Everything was perfect. We had a bit of time to kill after breakfast, so we taught Craig how to play Pass the Pigs. It was a fun way to pass the time.

One last view of the gite in Briare, France.
We left for the five minute drive to Briare in the chilly rain, glad that the luncheon cruise was "covered". We were very glad that Muriel was feeling well enough to join us, as this was to be or treat for her and Thierry. Sort of a payback for the many wonderful meals they have prepared for us over the years. They were waiting in their car near the basin. We opened our umbrellas and had only a short wait before we were admitted on board the boat. The high windows beside each group of tables began to fog over as the salon filled with new arrivals. Nearly all of them were French. No concession was made for those who didn't speak the language. It didn't matter, though, because we had Darcy and Mathieu. Thierry knows some English and speaks it well. He can understand much more. I was seated across from Muriel and even though the boat was noisy with chattering diners and the rumble of the engines, both Craig and I managed to speak with her a bit. 

The boat on which we enjoyed a luncheon cruise. 

We are seated on the boat and ready to go!
As the boat pulled away from the dock, we were all thrilled when it went halfway into the Pont du Canal. We had just walked along it the night before. Then, our craft pulled forward and began to navigate the canal. I was delighted when I learned that we would be passing through three locks and then returning the same way. Our boat even went past the gite where we had stayed! Our hosts were standing outside, waving as we cruised by. 

Our captain guiding the boat out of the basin.

It was interesting to pass through the locks.

A view of the gite from the boat in Briare, France.
We were soon served glasses of kir and we raised our flutes in a toast to families and friendships. The first course appeared as we gazed out of the windows. Each small plate was arranged with cold cuts, pickles, and two slices of baguette on which were spread rillettes and tapenade. We were off to a good start.

It's time for a toast!

And for starters...
Thierry bought a bottle of Sancerre wine, which was very good. We also had a red wine that was provided by the cruise, in addition to a carafe of water. As we dined, we paused to take pictures, and sometimes to go out onto the small back deck which had a canopy over it. Most of my photos were shot through the window by the table, which not only had rain running down the outside, but also condensation on the inside. I think I got some interesting photos though, both inside and out.

A little wine to accompany our meal.

A shot of the B & B through a rainy window.
It was fascinating to go through the locks. I thought I might feel claustrophobic when we were lowered down into them, but it was fine. We next had the main course, which was paupiettes de veau in a mushroom cream sauce, creamy potatoes Dauphinois, and a vegetable medley which consisted of carrots, green beans, and salsify. Salsify was called oyster root by the colonists because it does have a slight oyster flavor. Everything was seasoned perfectly, and we all enjoyed that portion of the meal. Along the banks of the river we saw bright yellow wild iris, wild carrot in flower, and several other varieties of flowers.

The main course was delicious!
At some point, we each got up to take a peek outside from the deck, which was protected from the rain. It was fun to watch the operation of the locks. The mighty gates opened and closed as were raised and lowered according to the height of the canal. Before long, the cheese course was served. Thankfully, the servings were small, but even so, I couldn't finish mine. There was a slice of gruyere, a wedge of Camembert, and a slice of mild goat cheese, with bread to go with it. By then we had been through several locks and were not far from our starting point. 

Now, it's time for the cheese course! 

Passing through another lock.

We were interested in how the locks operate.

Closing the gates.

What an interesting way to travel!

A "ritzy" barge tied up in the basin.
As the cruise was coming to an end, dessert was brought to the table. It was a tiny chocolate caramel lava cake, sitting in a pool of sweet cream. Delightful! And then small cups of espresso accompanied by a little Gallette cookie. We had such a good time, with great company and a delicious meal. Who cares if it's raining?

The dreary day didn't dampen our spirits.

And for dessert - little lava cakes!
As the boat was nearing the dock, many of the people on board began to sing a rousing French song. I didn't understand the lyrics, though I enjoyed listening. We left the boat and all went into the gift shop. I found a tiny owl figurine for mom. Darcy bought a striped French sailor jacket. As we were saying goodbye to Muriel and Thierry, she put a package into my hands, and one for Craig. She gave him some wonderful cookies, some of which are called croquet and are delightfully crunchy with a great flavor. I wasn't familiar with the rest, but Darcy said they would be delicious! Muriel presented me with a cute little owl couple. Muriel and I both love owls. She is so sweet. We had enjoyed spending the afternoon with her and Thierry. 

Our boat returns home. 
On the way home we stopped at a pet store to pick up food for Azur. There was a beautiful Norwegian Forest kitten for sale for €1140!!! It was adorable, and so sweet. It kept trying to play with me through the glass. Later, Arno came over for snacks and drinks. We were still not very hungry, so we nibbled on sausage, cheese, chips, and some grape tomatoes that Darcy drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Craig and Arno played a game, an app called Progress to 100. Darcy had shown it to me before. It was a hoot watching them figure out how to answer each riddle. Darcy showed Arno her amethyst collection, which he was very intrigued by. And he fell in love with her collection of I Spy books, so she loaned him a couple. All in all, it was a fabulous day. 

No comments: