Monday, October 27, 2014

In the Here and Now

*Sigh* So now I'm back in real time and the real world. I have enjoyed sharing my journal pages and reliving the fond memories of that marvelous vacation in France. Of course, I'm already looking forward to our next trip to Europe. In fact, the planning has already begun. I will arrive in France ahead of Craig, and will have at least ten glorious days to reconnect with Desmond before Craig arrives. We will meet him in Paris, and then the three of us will board a train for London and then travel on to Bath the next day. 

In the meantime, it's business as usual here in the Midwest. Autumn is upon us, though you wouldn't know it from the high temperatures we've experienced the past couple of days! At least the trees know it - they are showing off their extravagant hues and brightening every corner of the state. I love the cool fall weather and am glad that this warm streak won't last long.

 Fall color in the park near my home.


Last weekend was our Fall Festival. The weather couldn't have been better. The park was crowded with festival-goers and there was something for everyone to enjoy. Carnival rides, music, games, tractor pulls, a car show, fireworks, and much more. It was fun to wander in the shaded park, shopping in the many craft booths, seeing old friends, and slurping homemade sarsaparilla.

The festival grows larger every year. My husband and I always volunteer at the Friends of the Library booth, where we help with a used book sale that is always a popular venue. We can't resist poking around in the piles of books, discovering old favorites and a few new treasures. 

The grandchildren are becoming excited about Halloween. We enjoy it, too. Craig usually walks around the neighborhood with the little ones, while I hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters. A trip to the pumpkin patch is needed soon, so that we can carve jack o'lanterns to place on the front porch. It's a tradition I never fail to participate in. And I'll enjoy this fall weather as long as it holds.

 Time for a visit to the pumpkin patch.

A few jack o'lanterns from years past.

RECIPE: Here is a yummy dish that is perfect for autumn. Braised Red Cabbage with Bacon. Even if you swear you don't like cabbage, you should give this a try.

No comments: